Friday, 20 March 2009

I want to go and see Fighting...

Which brings me onto the trailer I saw that made me want to start making this blog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6ttyvbhbsQ

This is a film which is simply called Fighting. That's right, Fighting.

And when I saw it, it just made me... just despair, really. I thought, maybe the title would just be a metaphor, you know, like Happiness, or The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, or Snakes on a Plane.

But it's not. As the trailer makes quite clear, it's about a young man who travels to New York and it turns out he's really good at bare-knuckle fighting, and he makes money off it.

They throw some nonsense in about gambling or whatever and there's a love interest who I daresay isn't happy about all the fighting that's about to happen but the trailer starts, as the film means to go on, with dozens of shots of men's fists connecting with other men's faces with harsh, fleshy 'smacking' sounds.

I know this sounds condescending, I know it. And I would have been willing to put up with this, live and let live, up until the point that they called this movie Fighting. Because that means that, no matter what your social standing, whatever your intellectual capacity and whatever your reasons for going seeing this movie at the theatre, you are going to have to walk up to the box office and say to the woman at the desk:

'I'd like to see Fighting, please.'

And she will oblige. And you will be able to go and see fighting.

By the way, if the studios are going to make movies that so specifically (and helpfully) outline what their intended demographic is in their title from now on, you would be forgiven for demanding that films be made bearing titles like: Running, Farting, Fucking, Shitting, Thinking.

I could go on, but I won't.

If you are the kind of person that literally thinks to themselves 'I'd like to see a movie about fighting, and very little else' then you can go and see this movie. That is why I hate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment